Ice dams can build on roofs in the winter and cause safety hazards & damage to your home.
As the snow continues to pile up, ice damming can become a major problem for homeowners in Northeast Wisconsin. Ice dams cause damage to your gutters and roofs and could even lead to leaks that could cause damage inside your home.
What causes ice damming?
- Heat from inside your attic melts snow on the roof and causes it to flow towards gutters
- Cold gutters and overhangs that aren't getting heat from the house cause the water to refreeze, creating ice dams and icicles
- As this buildup happens over time, newly melted snow will be blocked by the dam and pushed under the shingles, causing water damage and potentially leaks
- If your attic insulation isn't up to date, your home will be losing heat to the roof
How can Dr. Energy Saver by Keeney Home Services help prevent this problem?
- Seal and insulate ducts: In many homes, heat runs through leaky duct work in the attic that increases the amount of heat escaping to the roof and melting snow. Proper insulation of these ducts will help prevent heat from escaping and limit the amount of water on the roof
- Air sealing: Insulation won't solve the problem without proper air sealing, which is why we'll take the time to seal all the small holes and drafts that prevent insulation from working properly. Spray foam insulation can be used to air-seal and as the first step in insulation
- Attic Insulation: Once air sealing is complete, we will fully insulate the attic with loose-fill cellulose insulation or spray foam insulation to ensure that your heat stays in your home, saving you money on heating bills while limiting the risk of ice dams
LeafGuard gutters can help limit the risks of ice damming as well. Although LeafGuard gutters can’t prevent ice damming on the roof, LeafGuard's patented one hood system will prevent ice accumulation in the gutter that can cause the gutter to separate from or even fall off the house.
To help your ice dam problem, call Dr. Energy Saver by Keeney Home Services at 1-844-385-7693 to request an inspection and free estimate to upgrade your attic insulation. We work in Appleton, Kimberly, Neenah, Menasha, Wausau, Stevens Point, Oshkosh and throughout NE WI.